HORACE O’BRYANT SCHOOL
REQUIRED UNIFORM/DRESS CODE
HOB Logo Shirts – Students must wear the approved HOB logo school shirts only. These are available at Ramona’s Shirt Put-on (524 Southard Street, 296-9962) or at the HOB front office (t-shirts available only). Shirt colors are white, dark green, khaki, light blue, black, purple, teal, pink, yellow, and red for middle school PE. The cost is $8.00 for short sleeve t-shirts, $9 for scoop neck, $10 for V-neck, and $10 for polo style and long sleeve.
· Shirts may not be purchased from any other location.
· Shirts may not be layered with any other shirts or tied up in the back.
· On cold days, a long sleeve shirt of one of the uniform colors (see above) without words or logos can be worn underneath an HOB shirt.
· Uniform shirts must be worn even underneath the uniform jacket.
Pants, capris, shorts, skirts, skorts, or bottoms of any kind -
· Designs, logos, pictures, or words are not permitted
· Students may not wear multiple layers of bottoms
· No holes, cut-offs, fringed or frayed, boxer shorts, pajama bottoms, open weave, see-through types of material or tight-fitting bottoms are allowed
· Should be worn at the waist and may not be rolled down at the waist
· Shorts, skirts, skorts, and dresses must not be shorter than the end of the thumb when the arms are straight down by the sides
Jackets – HOB logo hooded jackets are available at Ramona’s Shirt Put-on for $15.00 (without a zipper) or $20.00 (with a zipper). They are available in most of the uniform colors and are the only allowed jacket at HOB. Hoods should not be worn in the school building.
Shoes –Shoes must be worn at all times on campus. Tennis shoes or sneakers must be worn for Physical Education classes. For elementary students, tennis shoes or flat-bottomed shoes with back straps must be worn to school for safety on the playground and staircases. House or bedroom slippers or skate shoes are not an acceptable shoe for school.
Organization Shirts/Dress-down Days – Student Council, Band, NJHS, AVID, and special clubs or groups with approval may wear different colors on specified days or events. On occasion the principal will allow a dress-down day when students may wear clothing other than the prescribed uniform. This will be on special occasions only. The students and/or parents will be notified.
Backpacks/bookbags/purses – students may bringbackpacks/bookbags to school but must remove books and supplies in the morning before homeroom and store them in their locker or cubbie. Students may not use a backpack/bookbag during the day. After school students may place books and supplies in their backpacks/bookbags to carry home.
· Students may carry purses, however, to be considered a purse, it must not contain books and should be small enough that an HOB planner CANNOT fit inside.
· Students are permitted to wear buttons, jewelry, and other accessories (jewelry with spikes or wallets with chains are not allowed). However, any clothing, button, jewelry, or other accessories that contain vulgar, lewd, obscene, or offensive messages or anything else that may lead to substantial interference with school activities, including accessories advocating the use of alcohol, drugs, or making reference to or identifying gangs, weapons, etc. (such as removable gold teeth) are not allowed.
· Trench coats are not allowed. Rain gear or rain jackets must be removed upon entering the building.
· Hats and sunglasses shall not be worn in the building (sunglasses should also not be worn on the head).
· Hair curlers, bandanas, or other distracting hair accessories are not allowed.
In the event that a student’s uniform shirt is not available on a particular day, please let us know with a note. One will be loaned, if available, or a student can purchase one. We want to work with you and your child.
If a student/family is having financial difficulty with purchasing the above uniform clothing, please notify the office staff, and we will work with you to acquire the necessary items.
Note: Students who fail to comply with the Uniform/Dress Code Policy shall be advised of the policy and offered the use of a clean shirt or bottoms for the day. The school shall attempt to contact the student’s parents. Students who repeatedly fail to dress in accordance with the Uniform/Dress Code Policy may be subject to disciplinary actions as set forth in the HOB Student/Parent Guide. The Administration reserves the right to judge what is appropriate or not.